Fennel and Chili Rubbed Bone-In Rib RoastPrint Recipe
- 5 pound bone-in rib roast 9 bone roast
- As needed Basic Brine
- As needed sea salt
- 1/3 cup fennel seed toasted
- 1 1/2 TBL red chile flakes toasted
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups salt
- 2 quarts water
- 3 quarts ice
Fennel Tomato Salad
- 2 fennel bulbs shaved
- 1 pint Kumato grape tomatoes halved
- To taste sea salt
- To taste olive oil
- For the Basic Brine: In a large pot, dissolve the sugar, salt into the water over medium heat. Remove from the heat and pour over ice to cool completely. Submerge the bone-in rib roast in the brine for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Remove the rib roast from the brine and pat dry all over. Season the rib roast all over with sea salt. In a spice grinder, pulse together the toasted fennel seeds and chili flakes. Rub the spice mixture over the roast, allowing the excess to fall off the roast.
- Place the rib roast on a rack-lined sheet tray, rib side up and into the oven. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 135°F. Remove the roast from the oven and allow to carry over cook until the roast reaches 145°F – at least 20 minutes. While the roast is resting, pour off any excess rendered fat into a small bowl and reserve.
- Raise the oven temperature to 500°F. Slice the ribs away from the loins and cut the rack into individual ribs. Toss the cut ribs in a bowl with the reserved, rendered pork fat. Place the ribs cut side up on a sheet tray and place back into the oven until the ribs are crispy.
To serve: Slice the now boneless loin into 1 1/2-inch thick chops. Combine the ingredients for the Fennel Tomato Salad and season to taste. Place a small amount of salad on the plate, top with a boneless rib eye chop and a few crispy ribs to garnish.Recipe courtesy of Chef Ashley Christensen, Raleigh, NC