Asian BBQ Pork BaoPrint Recipe
- 2 1/2 pounds pork brisket/flank
- 2 TBL rice wine vinegar
- As needed bao buns
- As needed cilantro picked
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 9.4 oz hoisin sauce
- 1 TBL garlic minced
- 1 TBL shallot minced
- 1 TBL ginger peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice
- 1 TBL sesame oil
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 6 oz sugar
- 2 TBL kosher salt
- 2 carrots fine julienne
- 1 endive fine julienne
- 1 red onion fine julienne
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 cup olive oil
- Cut pork into 2”x1” blocks, rub with pork marinade and let sit overnight.
- Remove pork from marinade and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Place reserved marinade in a pan and bring to a boil. Reduce by a quarter, remove from heat and add rice wine vinegar.
- Mix half the reduced marinade with aioli, reserve remaining half to season sandwich.
- In hot saute pan or griddle top, sear meat until it reaches an internal doneness of 139°F, let it rest, and slice it thinly on the bias.
- Combine all ingredients, whisking thoroughly, until brown sugar is fully dissolved.
Pickled Vegetables Method:
- Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in small saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat, letting sugar and salt dissolve.
- Pour over vegetables and reserve.
- Whisk together yolk and lime juice in a bowl.
- Add oil to yolk mixture a few drops at a time, whisking constantly until oil is incorporated and mixture is emulsified.
- Chill, covered, until ready to use.
Source: Team Carmichael for 2015 Pork Summit
- To build sandwich, split bao bun, spread aioli on the bottom, layer meat, pickled vegetables, drizzle remaining marinade and finish with fresh cilantro.